Monday, February 13, 2012

Più Vedo Degli Uomini, la Miù Ammiro i Cani

The More I See of Men, The More I Admire Dogs

Nat, Kat, Lisa and I grabbed an aperitivo with some of the Italian Military men we met the other night. I can now attest to the fact that immersion is the best way to pick up a foreign language. As we tried to communicate with them, I found myself latching onto every word, thinking of every possible derivative or similar-sounding Spanish word, so that we could carry on a semi-smooth conversation. I probably learned 10 new words/phrases from this one meeting. I am fairly confident I’ll pick up a lot more Italian while I’m here. I’m excited to be able to better communicate with the locals. Italian is a beautiful language.

When the Militare Italiano boys were having trouble communicating, we had to pull out Google Translator. Thank goodness for modern technology. That’s when they would type more direct things-- talk about being forward! I kept hearing how beautiful I was, how gorgeous my eyes were, how they thought I was the sweetest bella they’d ever met, etc. etc. One even asked me to be his girlfriend. Pump the brakes signore!

Now if you really know me, you'd know I think their words were a bunch of bologna, but you best believe that I walked away from that aperitivo feeling like a million bucks. European men aren’t my type, but they're efforts to pick up girls are commendable. It was interesting… entertaining at least. Did I mention they paid for my cappuccino? Grazie bellos!

Natalie and I before our aperitivo adventure


Updates on this and that:

-I’m trying to coordinate a trip to Greece (more specifically, Santorini). It seems to be a little more complicated that I realized. Let me know if you have any travel advice!

-In America, African American history gets a month dedicated to it. In Verona, Italy, Valentine’s Day gets the same sort of deal. I’ll blog more about that at a later date. For now, imagine giant hearts EVERYWHERE.

-I met Tess last night. She's a UGA alumni who did the Verona Study Abroad program a few years ago. She loved Verona so much while she was studying, she decided to move here and teach. Hopefully we'll meet up again for dinner sometime soon. It's comforting to know she's here and we can call her if need be.

-I think this fast-paced lifestyle Italiano has worn me ragged. I’m a little under the weather as of late, but hopefully two days of rest will do me some good. Cross your fingers! Illness is never good.

-Internet connection at the residence is spotty. Bear with me if blog posts suffer.

-Besides just traveling to Santorini, Greece, I’m planning trips to Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and perhaps Paris. As part of the study abroad program we’re traveling as a group to Rome, Florence, Salzburg and Munich. I’d love any recommendations etc. on any of those locations! Grazie!



...Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment