Monday, February 6, 2012

Shopping è uno sport pericoloso

You know that feeling when you realize just how incompetent you truly are? If you haven’t ever felt that way, try grocery shopping in a different country. I’m serious. We went grocery shopping today and never have I ever been more befuddled than during the two hours I spent walking up and down this 3-aisle grocery store. I’m pretty good about grocery shopping. I know what foods are healthy, which foods will stay good/fresh the longest and most importantly which foods taste the best. Who knew that an Italian grocery would throw me a crazy curve ball? Lesson one learned today: Despite what you’d think, not all grocery stores are the same.

First thing first—Did you know that there is certain grocery store etiquette in Italy? Neither did I. When entering the store in the U.S., we grab a cart and get our shopping on. In Italia, things are a little different… You must “rent” a cart beforehand. The system works like a vending machine. You must put a euro coin in the shopping cart lock in order for it to be released for your use. Then after shopping, you can return your cart, lock it back in place, and receive your euro back. Interesting huh? Also, when you enter the grocery store in this country, you must go through a gate-type entrance one-by-one while pushing your cart through a separate entrance. If it sounds confusing, it’s because it is if you’ve never had to do it before. I felt like I was standing in a ticket line or something. Finally, another rule of grocery shopping in Italy is pertinent to the produce section. You must put on a plastic glove before handling any produce and placing it in your produce bag. You should see the dirty looks you get from fellow shoppers (especially the old ladies) if you fail to abide by this rule. It’s an intense system and I’m learning that being on top of your cultural etiquette applies to every situation… even grocery shopping.

Secondly—I had no idea what types of foods were around me. Sure, you could decipher the different types of pasta, but other than that, most things were foreign to me, particularly the produce. Not all carrots look the same. Not all lettuce looks the same. In fact, there was a good bit of food in the store I had never seen before! Veggie Tales failed me. Call me crazy, but I guarantee you would be just as lost. To make matters even more baffling, every label is in Italian. It wasn’t the most appropriate time to pull out a translation booklet either. I stood lost-in-translation. I couldn’t even read the ingredients or nutritional facts. Bad news: It took me forever to scramble up some groceries. Good news: Food is food, so I won’t go unfed!

Finally, it was time to check out. This process is exactly like it is in the States (thank goodness)The only weird thing—you must pay for each plastic bag your groceries require. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Second lesson learned today: Nothing is free in Italy, but the beautiful sights. So since I’m on a tight budget in the first place, the most economical choice was to purchase a big reusable bag in which to lug all the groceries back to my residence. Oh did I forget to mention that? Yeah… I have to carry my groceries three blocks back to my residence. Ha! I seemed to forget that fact when I stocked my cart to the brim. Needless to say Kat and I had our hands full and most certainly got a work out for the day!

Please note we now keep it klassy like kat and carry bottles of wine in our pockets.






So all in all, I felt like I was on Mars while on this shopping endeavor. However, it was a success. Hopefully, I’ll become more acclimated with the grocery store as I continue my stay here.

I still am in awe of everything around me and all that I’m experiencing. I had no clue how cool this experience would be! I am learning so much about the world and myself. I’m changing my perspective and developing a broader view on things. I’m loving it.

However, despite how “worldly” I become, I still will always have a place in my heart for Publix and Green’s grocery. Change is inspiring, but familiarity is bliss!


...Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. ROFL - Nothing like being dropped into another culture. Shopping bags and carts have a value - wow. I am afraid i would eat out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    If they have them Italy get a bag for life. That way you don't have to pay for the bags every time you go shopping. It is the same thing in England and they are very helpful. Come visit if you can.

    Cheers,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete