Thursday, February 16, 2012

Vita Aggiornamento

Life Updates:

-I have an addiction. Gelato. Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

-I’m headed to Milano this Saturday to meet up with some dear friends from UGA and home. I’ll get to see John in the morning and then meet up with two of my sorority sisters after that. I cannot wait! It’ll be my first trip all by myself and I’m going to a city I’ve always wanted to visit. Milan’s a major fashion capitol, which I studied in one of my fashion merchandising classes. It’ll be exciting to see the place in person, but mostly, I am excited to see familiar faces. :)

-We ate a Veronesi delicacy the other night. Hint- If “hay” is for horses, who are horses for? For all you “neigh”-sayers… It’s true. I ate a horse.

-We cooked dinner with room 802 tonight. We made seafood pasta and broccoli. We were all pleasantly surprised with the meal. I’ll be a mean pasta boiler by the time I get home—which is more than my sister Katie can say…Love you sis!

-Tomorrow I am staying in Verona for a parade near Piazza Erbe. It’s to celebrate Carnivale. Sounds good to me!

-I have unfortunately picked up a head cold… bleh. And an eye infection (attractive huh?). As I stood in the farmacia speaking with the Italian pharmacist, I realized something. As we successfully communicated using my broken Italian and his broken English, it dawned on me just how capable I am of taking care of myself. Sorry Mom and Dad—I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way. It’s actually a means of gratitude. You two raised me to be competent and independent. I cannot tell you how appreciative I am. I discovered I am growing up and I think I’m more prepared than I realized. Thanks for teaching me all I know thus far.

-April turned 22 this week. Happy Birthday Bella!

April's birthday dinner in our apartment

Nat, Pat and I at April's birthday dinner enjoying a night without any creepy Italian men

-In class we’re discussing Rapheal and Michelangelo. I’m entirely fascinated.

-Our professor, Tony (the one who is between an old 75 and a young 115 years old), enlightened us yesterday. We asked him what he did for Valentine's Day for his wife and he said they simply had a "lovely conversation." He said, "You know, my wife said, '"Tony, I sure am glad you exist." Tony replied, "I sure am glad you exist too dear." Thanks Tony, for teaching us the true meaning of loving your spouse. No gift is greater, nor should be celebrated more than the sheer existence of those we love. Valentine's day should be a day of celebration for having one another. Tony... what are we going to do with you, you sweetheart!

-I got mail! Not email, but the good old tangible snail mail. Mom and Katie sent me letters and I received them this week. Mail takes about 10 days to get from the states to Italy. It made my day to see letters in my mailbox. Mom even included some instant Starbucks coffee in her letter. Holy cannoli, how I’ve missed café Americana. Thank you!!!!

-It’s pretty nippy in Italy. I’m talking temperatures below freezing. We’re not in Georgia anymore. Kat and I decided to make the best use of the cold and utilize our balcony as an outdoor refrigerator. Yep, you will find our milk and wine chilling outside our sliding door. Resourceful right?

-We met some English gals the other night. It was such a relief to meet other folks who spoke fluent English. The only time we got lost in translation was when I said, "ya'll." They thought it was hysterical that Southerners actually said that in casual conversation. I'm proud to uphold our stereotype, ya'll! Anyway, we had a lot of fun getting to hang out with them and get to hear about their lives. They're all students at the University of Edinburgh, so since I've been there twice, we had a good bit to chat about. It was a good time.

Me, Harriet (from England), and Jackson in Piazza Erbe

Rachel (English) and I at Time Out

-John Jennings is doing me a huge favor and bringing me over some things from the U.S. that I need. He’s coming to Europe to do some traveling himself. Keep him in your prayers!

-Nathan Crumley made my Valentine's Day. Ah the little things! Thank you Nate!

I hope everyone is having a good Thursday!



...Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment