Monday, February 6, 2012

Vita Aggiornamento

Quick updates:

It’s our duty as Americans to watch the Super Bowl. So we did, even here in Italy. It came on at midnight our time so it was a struggle to stay up that late, but we did (for some of it anyway). Every sports caster was speaking in Italian, but when it comes to football, Americans will never be lost in translation! I didn’t have much of an opinion of who won. I was more so just enjoying hanging with the folks I’ve met here. Life is good.

We started class today. It’s a course on Renaissance and Reformation in Italy. I’m really excited about the class. My artsy side loves it because we get to explore the Renaissance art and architecture of the time. FYI- I have an odd obsession with cool architecture and clouds (but that’s a blog for another day). Despite my fascination with the period and the intricate artwork, the highlight of the class is my professor, Tony. He’s hilarious and has a good number of years on him. We talked about it at dinner and have collectively decided that he’s somewhere between an old 75 to a young 115 years of age. He’s great and makes hilarious comments that he doesn’t even realize are funny. Needless to say, Tony makes waking up at 8am, worth it.

Kat and I have been having an unbelievable amount of trouble with our room key to our apartment. To make matters worse, the front desk cannot locate our actual door key (right now we just have the key cards). So besides that being incredibly dangerous and sketchy (naturally, I’m thinking about the Hostel or Taken movies), it is also terribly inconvenient. So, we decided to switch rooms. Our new room is superb! It is bigger and better and to top it off, we each get our own closet. Every gal’s dream right? We’ve enjoyed our new place. Kat even decided to tap in to her feng shui skills and move around all our furniture and complimentary décor. Believe it or not, she must be a pro because the vibe of our new crib is now exciting and happy. It’s swell.

After Kat and I moved to our new apartment, we took a siesta. A loooooong siesta. It probably wasn’t the best long-term cure for our jet lag, but it worked wonders for the bags under our eyes. We’re still adjusting to the time change.

I cooked chicken! I know this sounds simple, but you do not understand. This past semester my room mate in Athens, Elizabeth, and I tried to cook chicken and it was brutal. Absolute failure. We had to douse it in soy sauce just to be able to eat it. Today, however, I sautéed chicken in olive oil and sprinkled it with pepper and we ate it over our salads. It was divine. I am really impressed with myself that I not only successfully cooked a meal, but that I did so on a hot plate! So long as someone else navigates the grocery store, I’ll cook. ;)

Also, I’ve made a new friend, Marco. He works the front desk and speaks very good English. It’s great having good friends in high places. He’s been a huge help with anything we need. He is helping me with my Italian. Today I learned: “Arrivederci!” which translates into, “See you later!”

So there’s that. Hope you all are living la bella vita!

…Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. ooooo angie!!! missing you lots!! but reading your blog is just making me soo happyyy!!! seriously so encouraged and sooo excited for you!!! gosh. this is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very jealous - i am having peanut butter. Keep snaping pictures of the architecture - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete